Join us for the 2013 Mission Open House and Cinco de Mayo Celebration!
Don't miss this great afternoon of programs:
12:00 p.m. Music by Los Chiles Verdes. Founded in 2009, Los Chiles Verdes is a rocking youth band founded by local Mission bandleaders Jose Leon and Tony Price. The band performs a variety of music including salsa, cumbia, and latin classics and is comprised of young musicians ranging from ages 8-16. Age is nothing but a number, they play with the heart of pros. So, dust off your dancing zapatos and come have a good time!
1:30 p.m. Poetry by Mission High School Students finalists in the Youth Speaks! 2013 Poetry Slam.
2:00 p.m. The Mission Branch Welcomes Author Gustavo Arellano! Arellano is the editor of the Orange County Weekly where he writes ¡Ask a Mexican!, a column where he answers any and all questions about America’s spiciest and largest minority. The column has become nationally sindicated with a weekly circulation of over 2 million in 39 newspapers across the United States and is a two-time winner of the Association of Alternative Weeklies award for Best Column.
In this appearance, Mr. Arellano will be reading, discussing, and signing his latest book, Taco USA: How Mexican Food Conquered America. San Francisco is prominently featured in the book as one of America's early mexican food meccas. The event will be followed by a book sale hosted by Modern Times Bookstore.
This program is part of ¡VIVA!, the library’s celebration of National Hispanic Heritage Month, which takes place every year from September 15 – October 15.
- 2014 - 2015 Opera Preview Lecture
- Wednesday, October 1, 2014Main Library, Koret Auditorium
- Sticky Fingers: DIY Duct Tape Crafts
- Wednesday, October 1, 2014Bayview, Bayview Meeting Room
- Chocolate Tasting
- Wednesday, October 1, 2014Main Library, Children's Center
- Noche Caribe: Learn Salsa and Bachata!
- Wednesday, October 1, 2014Mission Bay, Mission Bay Program Room
- Sticky Fingers
- Tuesday, October 7, 2014Parkside, Parkside Teen's Area
- Repujado - Mexican Tin Art
- Friday, October 10, 2014Bernal Heights, Bernal Heights Meeting Room
*Funded by Friends of the San Francisco Public Library.