Tim Holt performs and plays songs from the musical "Nice Work If You Can Get It," including " 'S Wonderful" and "Do Do Do," as well as selections from "Porgy & Bess" and other works by the Gershwin brothers, George & Ira. He will discuss their contributions to American popular music and give a behind-the-scenes look at how they wove music and words seamlessly together.
Tim will also discuss the work of other great composers from that era: Harold Arlen ("Somewhere Over The Rainbow"), Irving Berlin ("Cheek To Cheek") and Jerome Kern ("'Ol' Man River").
As in his other programs, Tim encourages audience members to celebrate our musical heritage by singing right along with him.
The multi-talented Tim Holt is also the author of Songs of the Simple Life (2001), a compendium of rustic wisdom.
- OWL: Older Writers Laboratory
- Monday, May 23, 2016, 10:00 amBernal Heights, Bernal Heights Meeting Room
- Computer Help for Adults/Seniors
- Thursday, May 26, 2016, 4:00 pmRichmond, Richmond Meeting Room
- Phonographic Memory: Bridging Generations and Genres
- Thursday, May 26, 2016, 6:15 pmMain Library, Latino/Hispanic Rms A & B
- CANCELLED-Book a Librarian in Russian
- Tuesday, May 24, 2016, 10:30 amMain Library, 5th Floor Computer Training Ctr.
- Google Drive Demystified
- Wednesday, May 25, 2016, 10:00 amMain Library, 5th Floor Computer Training Ctr.
- Wednesday Afternoon Tai Chi with Patrick Lau
- Wednesday, May 25, 2016, 1:30 pmPresidio, Presidio Meeting Room