Ask a Librarian
Ways to Contact a Librarian with Your Questions
- SFPL Text & Chat
- The SFPL Text & Chat service works best for answering brief, factual questions. In depth questions will be forwarded in email format to subject specialists, who will try to get back to you within 2 days.
- Email Reference
- Submit a question to an SFPL librarian via email. Emailed questions may not be answered immediately; for a quicker response, use SFPL Text & Chat or call your local library.
- The Brainfuse online homework help program provides on demand, one-to-one homework help in English, Spanish and Cantonese for K-12, college students and adult learners in math, science, digital literacy, English, social studies and other subjects. Live one-to-one help.
- Telephone Reference
- Call during business hours to speak with an SFPL librarian at (415) 557-4400.
- Visit Us
- Visit the Main Library or neighborhood libraries in person.