On New Year's Eve, 1866, Professor Risley arrived in San Francisco from Yokohama, Japan. He was accompanied by the Imperial Japanese Troupe of acrobats and performers. Risley was a famous acrobat in his own right.
In this presentation heavily illustrated with photographs and drawings, award-winning author Frederik L. Schodt will reveal the incredible but true story of Risley and his troupe, who gave the world one of its first glimpses of Japanese popular culture.
Professor Risley and the imperial Japanese troupe: how an American acrobat introduced circus to Japan, and Japan to the West.
- We're All Terminal
- Tuesday, November 1, 2016, 6:00 pmMain Library, Latino/Hispanic Rms A & B
- Ikebana Japanese Flower Arrangement for Kids
- Saturday, November 5, 2016, 1:30 pmWestern Addition, Western Addition Courtyard
- Where Do Archives Come From?
- Thursday, November 17, 2016, 6:00 pmMain Library, Latino/Hispanic Rms A & B