On New Year's Eve, 1866, Professor Risley arrived in San Francisco from Yokohama, Japan. He was accompanied by the Imperial Japanese Troupe of acrobats and performers. Risley was a famous acrobat in his own right.
In this presentation heavily illustrated with photographs and drawings, award-winning author Frederik L. Schodt will reveal the incredible but true story of Risley and his troupe, who gave the world one of its first glimpses of Japanese popular culture.
Professor Risley and the imperial Japanese troupe: how an American acrobat introduced circus to Japan, and Japan to the West.
- Japanese Koto Demonstration with Shoko Hikage
- Thursday, May 5, 2016, 3:30 pmNorth Beach, North Beach Meeting Room
- Amy Tan's The Joy Luck Club
- Thursday, May 5, 2016, 6:30 pmChinatown, Chinatown Meeting Room
- CANCELLED - The Chinese & the Transcontinental Railroad
- Thursday, May 5, 2016, 7:00 pmSunset, Sunset Children's Area
- Tai Chi Mondays
- Monday, May 9, 2016, 3:00 pmBernal Heights, Bernal Heights General Floor Area
- Jamyong Singye on the Meditative Art of Thangka
- Tuesday, May 10, 2016, 6:30 pmWest Portal, West Portal Children's Area
- Red Envelope Craft
- Wednesday, May 11, 2016, 1:00 pmVisitacion Valley, Visitacion Valley Meeting Room