On New Year's Eve, 1866, Professor Risley arrived in San Francisco from Yokohama, Japan. He was accompanied by the Imperial Japanese Troupe of acrobats and performers. Risley was a famous acrobat in his own right.
In this presentation heavily illustrated with photographs and drawings, award-winning author Frederik L. Schodt will reveal the incredible but true story of Risley and his troupe, who gave the world one of its first glimpses of Japanese popular culture.
Professor Risley and the imperial Japanese troupe: how an American acrobat introduced circus to Japan, and Japan to the West.
- Epigenetics --- A Closer Look at Genes and Environment
- Sunday, July 10, 2016, 1:00 pmMain Library, Latino/Hispanic Rms A & B
- Stepping Forward
- Sunday, July 17, 2016, 1:00 pmMain Library, Koret Auditorium
- Book Talk: Not So Different: Finding Human Nature in Animals
- Thursday, July 28, 2016, 5:30 pmMain Library, Koret Auditorium