After seeing the Gershwin musical, Nice Work If You Can Get It, on Broadway last fall, Tim was inspired to explore the lives and music of the Gershwin brothers, George and Ira. Holt will perform and play songs from the musical, including "'S Wonderful" and "Do Do Do," as well as selections from Porgy and Bess, and other works by the Gershwin team. He'll discuss their contribution to American popular music and give a behind-the-scenes look at how they weaved music and words seamlessly together. Tim will also discuss the work of other great composers from that era: Harold Arlen ("Somewhere Over The Rainbow"), Irving Berlin ("Cheek To Cheek") and Jerome Kern ("'Ol Man River"). As in his other programs, Tim will encourage audience members to celebrate our musical heritage by singing right along with him.
- Bernal Celebrates Black History!
- Saturday, February 13, 2016, 1:30 pmBernal Heights, Bernal Heights General Floor Area
- Book a Librarian in Russian
- Tuesday, February 16, 2016, 10:30 amMain Library, Computer Training Ctr. 5th Floor
- Hip-Hop Workshop for Kids
- Wednesday, February 17, 2016, 4:00 pmWestern Addition, Western Addition Meeting Room
- Computer Help for Adults/Seniors
- Sunday, February 14, 2016, 2:00 pmOrtega, Ortega Meeting Room
- Wednesday Afternoon Tai Chi with Patrick Lau
- Wednesday, February 17, 2016, 1:30 pmPresidio, Presidio Meeting Room
- Internet 101
- Thursday, February 18, 2016, 2:00 pmChinatown, Chinatown Computer Lab