Historian Hillary Don discusses his book, Across the Pacific Ocean with Paddle Steamship China. From 1867 to 1879, the wooden, sidewheel-paddle steamship boldly carried thousands of transpacific ocean passengers- including William Seward and Anson Burlingame—over 6,000 hazardous nautical miles from San Francisco, California, to Yokohama, Japan, and Hong Kong, China. It helped unite the East and West coasts of the United States and developed trade between the youngest and two of the oldest civilizations in the world. Now only the aft deckhouse of the ship survives as “China Cabin” in Belvedere.
- OWL: Older Writers Laboratory
- Monday, August 29, 2016, 10:00 amBernal Heights, Bernal Heights Meeting Room
- Computer Help for Adults & Seniors
- Saturday, September 3, 2016, 2:00 pmChinatown, Chinatown Computer Lab
- Computer Help for Adults/Seniors
- Sunday, September 4, 2016, 2:00 pmPortola, Portola General Floor Area
- Brain Fitness
- Monday, August 29, 2016, 1:00 pmMain Library, Latino/Hispanic Rms A & B
- Book a Librarian in Russian
- Tuesday, August 30, 2016, 10:30 amMain Library, 5th Floor Computer Training Ctr.
- CANCELLED: Creative Ways of Telling Your Life Story
- Tuesday, August 30, 2016, 1:30 pmMain Library, Learning Studio