This year the filing deadline is April 15, 2014.
Tax Forms on the Web
- IRS - 2013 forms are available on the web. Forms for previous years are also online.
- California Franchise Tax Board - 2013-2008 forms (select 2013 from drop-down menu) are available as well as forms back to 1985.
- Tax information and forms for all 50 states.
Tax Help on the Web
- Frequently Asked Tax Questions and Answers from the IRS.
- Searchable tax topics from the IRS.
- Frequently Asked Questions from the CA Franchise Tax Board.
- Enter your zip code and find tax help at AARP Tax-Aide.
- Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) and Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE) - Search by city or county for best results.
- Bay Area families with a gross income of $51,000 or less may qualify for free tax assistance sponsored by Tax Aid, a nonprofit organization at http://tax-aid.org. Click here to view and print flyers in English, Spanish, Chinese, Russian, Tagalog, and Vietnamese.
- Earn it! Keep it! Save it! A United Way project helping low and moderate income families with tax preparation. Printable flyers for the program are available here.
- The Internal Revenue Service offers free filing options if you meet certain qualifications.
- The Franchise Tax Board offers two free e-file programs, if you meet certain qualifications: Ready Return and CalFile. Other filing options are available.
Where to File Tax Returns
- Federal tax returns sent from California are mailed to either Charlotte, North Carolina, Fresno, or San Francisco, California.
State tax forms and tax-related correspondence are sent to Sacramento, California but with various zip code extensions.
Where to Get Free Tax Booklets and Forms
- IRS field office. Click here to view the services provided at this location.
450 Golden Gate Avenue (between Larkin and Polk streets)
- Location map
Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Closed Saturday, Sunday and all Federal Holidays
Call Monday to Friday, 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. (local time)
To receive forms by mail: 1-800-829-3676
Tax information for individuals: 1-800-829-1040
Tax information for businesses: 1-800-829-4933
- California Franchise Tax Board
121 Spear Street, Suite 400
Monday to Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Recorded service for forms and information: 1-800-852-5711;