Randall Tarpey-Schwed's interest in books that portray gay and lesbian parents began as a simple search for books to read to his young children that portrayed "his" kind of family. Join us when Mr. Tarpey-Schwed presents a well-illustrated talk. He will discuss the first such children's book which appeared in 1979, to the controversy that surrounded the publication of Heather Has Two Mommies; from the relative dearth of such books during the AIDS crisis of the 1980s to the early portrayals of same-gender marriages. We will learn how changes in society have been mirrored in the pages of these books, and how they have changed for the better over time. The talk will conclude with a discussion of a few of Mr. Tarpey-Schwed's personal recommendations.
See Queerest.Library.Ever. sfpl.org/hormelat20 for related online exhibits, archives, and resources.
- Cervantes Lives!
- Saturday, September 10, 2016, 3:00 pmMain Library, Koret Auditorium
- Living with Pride: Ruth Ellis @100
- Sunday, September 11, 2016, 2:30 pmMain Library, Latino/Hispanic Rms A & B
- Talk by Mr. Wang Meng : My 16-Year Exile in Xinjiang
- Tuesday, September 13, 2016, 2:00 pmMain Library, Koret Auditorium