This intergenerational presentation will showcase poetry and memoirs about the imprisonment of over 120,000 Japanese Americans in prison camps during World War II. Brian Komei Dempster--a third-generation Sansei--will read poems from his debut collection, Topaz, which looks at the lasting effects of wartime incarceration on his maternal family and younger generations. Along with Dempster, a group of former camp prisoners and mainly second-generation Nisei writers--Florence Ohmura Dobashi, Sato Hashizume, and Daisy Satoda--will present their first-person stories. A book sale by Readers Books follows the event.
- Author Talk: Working Stiff
- Wednesday, January 28, 2015Ortega, Ortega Meeting Room
- Legendary Locals of the Richmond, Sunset, and Golden Gate Park
- Wednesday, January 28, 2015Sunset, Sunset Children's Area
- Open Books: Alev Croutier
- Wednesday, February 4, 2015Main Library, Latino/Hispanic Rms A & B