The Library closes at 5:00 p.m. December 24 and will be closed December 25 Christmas Day
The Deaf Services Center provides in-depth resources for adults and children who are deaf or hard of hearing, their families, friends and professionals.
Collections and Services Available
- Staff provides services in American Sign Language and English
- An extensive collection of books, magazines, videos and DVDs about American Sign Language, Deaf culture, interpreting, parenting, hearing loss, deafness and other related subjects
- Research Guides
- Resource files of magazine articles, newspaper clippings, book and video reviews, brochures, flyers and ephemera
- Classes offered in the San Francisco Bay Area for American Sign Language, sign language interpreting, Deaf culture, deaf education and other related subjects
- For SFPL sponsored programs, assistive listening devices are available as well as the following services: American sign language interpreting, English language oral interpreting and real-time captioning in English. These services cannot be guaranteed when requested less than one week in advance.
- Information about other organizations that provide services for people who are deaf or hard of hearing
- Video/DVD viewing on televisions equipped with closed-caption decoders
- Purchase or rent American Culture: The Deaf Perspective, a four-part series on DVD exploring the culture and heritage of Deaf Americans
- Public pay TTY and amplified telephones available on the first floor
- Sorenson VRS videophone is available in the Deaf Services Center during open hours
- 125th Anniversary Exhibit
- Program flyers