Meet photographer Thomas Alleman for a lecture and discussion about his exhibit, Dancing in the Dragon's Jaws: Gay San Francisco, 1985-1988. This exhibit celebrates San Francisco’s gay community in the mid-eighties. The photos show a moment in San Francisco’s social history when the first wave of the AIDS epidemic crashed onto the Castro. These photos chronicle a blizzard of protests and demonstrations, vigils and marches and sit-ins, as the community struggled for social and political recognition of the crisis. But his exhibit also shows the parties and bar-scenes, drag shows and Halloween evenings and the artists who were creating a home-grown, alternate gay culture that spoke directly to the experiences and aspirations of Castro audiences with life affirming joy.
Related exhibit: Dancing in the Dragon's Jaws: Gay San Francisco, 1985-1988, Main Library, Jewett Gallery, December 1, 2012 - February 10, 2013.
- History of Food Coops: Shanta Sacharoff
- Sábado 22 de Octubre de 2016, 12:00 pmOrtega, Ortega: Sala de Reuniones
- Ghosts, Sinners & Secret Places
- Sábado 22 de Octubre de 2016, 2:30 pmPresidio , Presidio: Sala de Reuniones
- Guild Freelancers
- Martes 25 de Octubre de 2016, 5:30 pmBiblioteca Central, Sala Latino/Hispana A & B
- Home Away from Home:
- Hasta Domingo 27 de Noviembre de 2016Biblioteca Central, Galería Jewett
- Al-Mutanabbi Street Starts Here:
- Hasta Domingo 1 de Enero de 2017Biblioteca Central, Galería Skylight
- Dadamatic Mail Art
- Hasta Sábado 31 de Diciembre de 2016Biblioteca Central, Galería Skylight