Meet photographer Thomas Alleman for a lecture and discussion about his exhibit, Dancing in the Dragon's Jaws: Gay San Francisco, 1985-1988. This exhibit celebrates San Francisco’s gay community in the mid-eighties. The photos show a moment in San Francisco’s social history when the first wave of the AIDS epidemic crashed onto the Castro. These photos chronicle a blizzard of protests and demonstrations, vigils and marches and sit-ins, as the community struggled for social and political recognition of the crisis. But his exhibit also shows the parties and bar-scenes, drag shows and Halloween evenings and the artists who were creating a home-grown, alternate gay culture that spoke directly to the experiences and aspirations of Castro audiences with life affirming joy.
Related exhibit: Dancing in the Dragon's Jaws: Gay San Francisco, 1985-1988, Main Library, Jewett Gallery, December 1, 2012 - February 10, 2013.
- Frank Lloyd Wright and San Francisco
- Martes 6 de Diciembre de 2016, 6:00 pmBiblioteca Central, Auditorio Koret
- Author Lorraine Rominger
- Martes 6 de Diciembre de 2016, 6:00 pmBiblioteca Central, Sala Latino/Hispana A & B
- We're All Terminal
- Jueves 8 de Diciembre de 2016, 6:00 pmBiblioteca Central, Sala Latino/Hispana A & B
- Al-Mutanabbi Street Starts Here:
- Hasta Domingo 1 de Enero de 2017Biblioteca Central, Galería Skylight
- Dadamatic Mail Art
- Hasta Sábado 31 de Diciembre de 2016Biblioteca Central, Galería Skylight
- Getting into the A.C.T.
- Hasta Sábado 31 de Diciembre de 2016Biblioteca Central, Café: Expositor