Meet photographer Thomas Alleman for a lecture and discussion about his exhibit, Dancing in the Dragon's Jaws: Gay San Francisco, 1985-1988. This exhibit celebrates San Francisco’s gay community in the mid-eighties. The photos show a moment in San Francisco’s social history when the first wave of the AIDS epidemic crashed onto the Castro. These photos chronicle a blizzard of protests and demonstrations, vigils and marches and sit-ins, as the community struggled for social and political recognition of the crisis. But his exhibit also shows the parties and bar-scenes, drag shows and Halloween evenings and the artists who were creating a home-grown, alternate gay culture that spoke directly to the experiences and aspirations of Castro audiences with life affirming joy.
Related exhibit: Dancing in the Dragon's Jaws: Gay San Francisco, 1985-1988, Main Library, Jewett Gallery, December 1, 2012 - February 10, 2013.
- First Lady Florence Harding
- Miércoles 8 de Julio de 2015Merced, Merced: Área Principal
- Jueves 9 de Julio de 2015Biblioteca Central, Auditorio Koret
- Make Geometric Models!
- Sábado 11 de Julio de 2015Sunset, Sunset: Área Juvenil
- Primitive No More:
- Hasta Jueves 9 de Julio de 2015Biblioteca Central, Centro Africano Americano
- Wide Angle:
- Hasta Viernes 31 de Julio de 2015Biblioteca Central, Galería Skylight
- Potrero Branch 57th Annual Art Exhibit
- Hasta Domingo 2 de Agosto de 2015Potrero, Potrero: Área Principal