Cory Doctorow's One City One Book 2013 selection Little Brother may already be five years old, but its "day after tomorrow" setting seems closer than ever to reality. From the Occupy protests to newly revealed government surveillance programs, the real-world San Francisco is starting to look more and more like Doctorow's version. But how close is it, really?
In this panel, held during Banned Books Week, tech policy experts, computer programmers, and crypto activists, including staff from the Electronic Frontier Foundation, will discuss some of the key elements and technologies described in the novel. Could the events Doctorow describes happen here? Have we already seen some of them happen?
One City One Book is San Francisco's citywide book club.
In 2014, we're reading Tales of the City by Armistead Maupin.
Find out more at: One City One Book.
- Thursdays @ Noon Film: The Wizard of Oz
- Thursday, October 2, 2014Main Library, Koret Auditorium
- Tales of the City Book Discussion
- Saturday, October 4, 2014Eureka Valley/Harvey Milk Memorial, Eureka Valley General Floor Area
- One City One Book Craft: Dream Catcher
- Saturday, October 4, 2014Chinatown/Him Mark Lai, Chinatown Meeting Room