10:30AM – 11:45AM The Wall (USA 2009 - 76 min.)
Director: Ricardo Martinez. In 2006, Congress passed The Secure Fence Act calling for construction of 700 miles of fence along the US/Mexico border. They were not prepared for what followed. The Wall, documents the impact of constructing a border fence along the Southwest. From policy makers to citizens of border towns the debate elevates as residents respond to having a fence built in their backyard.
12:00PM – 1:20PM La Salsa Cubana (Cuba/USA 2010 - 80 min.)
Directors: Eric Joseph Johnson & Sarita Streng. A dance group from the outskirts of Havana strives to win the Cuban national dance competition. The group comes from the Guanabacoa neighborhood and their passion is Cuban salsa. Along with the group's journey, we hear about the fabulous Cuban music, the ins and outs of the dancers' personal lives, and the history of the dance as told by old school dancers who were there when it started. This is an authentic and rare view of Cuba today and the dancing that lifts the national spirit.
1:45PM – 3:20PM Amateurs/Aficionados (Spain 2011 - 95 min.)
Director: Arturo Dueñas. Amateurs at living… because life is not suitable for professionals: several characters meet weekly in a theater workshop in order to cultivate their favorite hobby and, at the same time, make up for their lack of affection and love from others.
3:30PM – 5:15PM Soulbound/ Teus Olhos Meus (Brazil 2011 - 105 min.)
Director: Caio Sóh. When a feeling overflows through the fingers of destiny, affecting two bodies in an instantaneous and intense way, we call it soul-bound love. Gil is a 20 year old young man questioning himself, his identity, the world around him. Orphaned, he’s being raised by his aunt Leila and his uncle. Gil’s lifestyle is fulfilled by his guitar, poetry and alcohol, causing turmoil at home and eventually running away and leaving behind all his belongings, security and the only love that he had: the love of his aunt. With his guitar on this back, no plans, no money nor the help of friends, Gil meets a 50 year old man, Otavio, a music producer, that will change his future.
Este evento es parte de ¡Viva! una celebración del Mes de la Herencia Latino/Hispana de la Biblioteca Pública de San Francisco.
- Thursdays at Noon film series - The Women
- Jueves 3 de Septiembre de 2015, 12:00 pmBiblioteca Central, Auditorio Koret
- Teen Movie: Despicable Me 2
- Jueves 3 de Septiembre de 2015, 3:00 pmNorth Beach, North Beach
- First Thursday Movies at Excelsior
- Jueves 3 de Septiembre de 2015, 6:30 pmExcelsior, Excelsior: Sala de Reuniones
- Queso Fresco Workshop
- Martes 15 de Septiembre de 2015, 7:00 pmEureka Valley, Eureka Valley: Área Principal
- Repujado: Tin Art
- Jueves 17 de Septiembre de 2015, 3:00 pmBernal Heights, Bernal Heights: Sala de Reuniones
- Sabor a Salsa!
- Viernes 18 de Septiembre de 2015, 3:30 pmMission , Mission: Área Principal