This free class examines Western classical music in various political, economic, and aesthetic contexts and seeks to teach listening skills, a critical vocabulary for discussing music, and an appreciation for the complex roles of music in society. We will look at changing genres and styles of music and discuss composers’ choices and assumptions, as well as those of patrons and audiences, as we move chronologically from the Classical through the Romantic eras. Instructor: John Smalley
Check uotc.org for a complete list of free University of the Commons classes.
- Sidewalk Poetry & Music with Mission MAPP
- Saturday, April 4, 2015Mission, Mission General Floor Area
- Bernal Jazz Quartet
- Wednesday, April 8, 2015Bernal Heights, Bernal Heights Meeting Room
- Opera for the People Lecture Series
- Sunday, April 26, 2015Noe Valley, Noe Valley Meeting Room