This free class examines Western classical music in various political, economic, and aesthetic contexts and seeks to teach listening skills, a critical vocabulary for discussing music, and an appreciation for the complex roles of music in society. We will look at changing genres and styles of music and discuss composers’ choices and assumptions, as well as those of patrons and audiences, as we move chronologically from the Middle Ages through the Baroque era. Instructor: John Smalley
Check uotc.org for a complete list of free University of the Commons classes.
- Alison Faith Levy Sings Shalom!
- Saturday, September 24, 2016, 11:00 amMarina, Marina Childrens' Area
- Arabic Dance with Heaven Mousalem
- Saturday, September 24, 2016, 3:00 pmWestern Addition, Western Addition General Floor Area
- Opera for the People
- Sunday, September 25, 2016, 2:00 pmNoe Valley, Noe Valley Meeting Room