Join other readers for a lively discussion of this year's One City One Book selection, A Paradise Built in Hell by Rebecca Solnit.
This book explores our need for community and common purpose, which Solnit argues are fundamental to democratic forms of social and political life. Blending reportage and analysis, the book surveys natural and man-made disasters including the ’06 earthquake, the Halifax explosion of 1917, the 1985 Mexico City earthquake, the Sept. 11th attacks, and Hurricane Katrina. Solnit takes a positive view of human behavior showing that disasters can actually create a sense of community and purposefulness. A community’s typical response to catastrophe is self-organization and mutual aid–truly democracy in action–with neighbors and strangers rescuing, feeding and housing each other.
- Western Addition Book Group
- Monday, August 1, 2016, 4:00 pmWestern Addition, Western Addition Meeting Room
- Merced Branch Library Book Club
- Tuesday, August 2, 2016, 7:00 pmMerced, Merced General Floor Area
- Great Books Discussion Group
- Wednesday, August 3, 2016, 6:30 pmPresidio, Presidio Meeting Room