Celebrate 2012 Hispanic Heritage Month at the Mission Branch Library with a Papel Picado Workshop led by Carmen Lomas Garza and a rare free performance by the San Francisco Guitar Quartet!
1: 00 p.m. Papel Picado Workshop Conducted by Carmen Lomas Garza, visual artist, author, and teacher
This is a hands-on workshop on the techniques for cutting tissue paper to make “banderitas de papel picado” (paper banners) used in Mexico and the Southwestern United States as decorations for celebrations. The participants will learn to fold and cut tissue paper to make 3 cutout designs and then attach the cutouts to a string to make a set ready to hang at their next celebration.
*PLEASE NOTE: This workshop is for both adults and children. Children must be 6 years old and older and accompanied by an adult who will also participate. Children younger than 6 years may not attend. Adults must bring your own scissors. The library will have a limited number of scissors for adults on hand, and it will provide appropriate scissors for children.
4:15 p.m. Free Performance by The San Francisco Guitar Quartet.
SFGQ features Mark Simons, Patrick O’Connell, Jon Mendle, and Roberto Granados performing an expansive and vibrant repertoire of Classical, Spanish, Jazz, and World music. Form by veteran performers of newly composed music as well as time-tested classics, SFGQ’s programs offer a concert experience that balanced, engaging, and delightfully diverse. Founded in 1997, the quartet has established itself as an enduring presence in the guitar world through its ground-breaking concerts and recording. The SFGQ was chosen by Chamber Music America as featured performer at the Western Arts Alliance Showcase. For more information visit www.sfgq.com
All programs will be at the Adult Reading Room, 2nd Floor, Mission Branch Library. Refreshments will be served!
Programs celebrating one of the many cultures that make up San Francisco, during their time of special recognition.
This event is part of ¡Viva! San Francisco Public Library's Latino/Hispanic Heritage Month celebration.
- ¡Baila conmigo! Dance with Me, Maria Luna!
- Saturday, September 27, 2014Potrero, Potrero Meeting Room
- Family Storytime: Spanish-English
- Saturday, October 4, 2014Mission, Mission Children's Area
- Italian Heritage Month: Walking Tour
- Saturday, October 4, 2014North Beach, North Beach General Floor Area
- Papel Picado Banners!
- Tuesday, September 23, 2014Bernal Heights, Bernal Heights Meeting Room
- Come Learn How to Salsa and Bachata!
- Tuesday, September 30, 2014Richmond/Senator Milton Marks, Richmond Meeting Room
- Family History Research: Italian Ancestors
- Wednesday, October 8, 2014North Beach, North Beach Meeting Room
*Funded by Friends of the San Francisco Public Library.