Conservation photographer Bryant Austin is the only photographer in the world producing high-resolution, life-size photography of whales. A chance encounter with a humpback calf and its mother helped Austin develop a technique to create detailed, intimate portraits of his subjects. Spending days at a time submerged with groups of whales, he remains motionless, allowing humpback, sperm, and minke whales that are sometimes forty-five feet in length and weigh as much as fifty tons to come within six feet. In this presentation, Austin will describe his fearless process and reveal images from his breathtaking new book Beautiful Whale, which was recently published in April 2013 by Abrams. Hear the story behind these images that inspire people to take the future of whales-endangered throughout the oceans-into their hearts. Book signing to follow.
This is a California Academy of Sciences and Stegner Environmental Center Program.
Reservations: This is a free event but seating is limited so please RSVP online as ticketed guests will be seated first. To reserve a place today, reserve a ticket online or over the phone at 1-877-227-1831
Este es un evento de Ecología (Green Stacks).
- Not So Different: Finding Human Nature in Animals
- Jueves 28 de Julio de 2016, 5:30 pmBiblioteca Central, Auditorio Koret
- Meet Your National Park Service Ranger
- Miércoles 10 de Agosto de 2016, 2:00 pmBiblioteca Central, Centro de Niños: Sala Creativa
- Dr. Helen Caldicott
- Sábado 13 de Agosto de 2016, 2:00 pmBiblioteca Central, Auditorio Koret