Film Screening: Lake Tahoe: Can We Save It?
Join us for a screening of a short film about the conservation efforts of the past few decades to keep Lake Tahoe blue. The film will feature the story of scientists and citizens who have worked tirelessly to understand the ecology of Tahoe and to preserve its beauty while maintaining a recreational treasure for years to come.
Lake Tahoe is the largest alpine lake in North America located in the Sierra Mountains at the border of California and Nevada. With a depth of 1645 feet, it is the second deepest lake in the United States. The lake was formed about 2 million years ago and is a part of the Lake Tahoe Basin with the modern lake being shaped during the ice ages.
The post-World War II population and building boom and completion of the interstate highway links for the 1960 Winter Olympics held at Squaw Valley, resulted in a dramatic increase in development within the basin. From 1960 to 1980, the permanent residential population increased from about 10,000 to greater than 50,000, and the summer population grew from about 10,000 to about 90,000. The League to Save Lake Tahoe (Keep Tahoe Blue) has been an environmental watchdog in the Lake Tahoe Basin for 50 years. Their efforts combined with other agencies and scientist from UC Davis has helped slow the degradation of the Lake in recent years and may now even be leading to a reversal of the damage caused by the development of past decades.
Q&A following the event with:
- Gabriela Quiros, KQED Producer of Lake Tahoe: Can We Save It?
- Geoff Schladow, Director of the Tahoe Environmental Research Center at UC Davis.
Film running time is 30 minutes.
Reservations: This is a free lecture taking place at the SFPL at 100 Larkin Street San Francisco, CA. Seating is limited with advanced ticketing suggested. To reserve a seat today, please call 1-877-227-1831.
Este es un evento de Ecología (Green Stacks).
- Thursdays at Noon films - High Fidelity
- Jueves 2 de Junio de 2016, 12:00 pmBiblioteca Central, Auditorio Koret
- First Thursday Movies @ Excelsior
- Jueves 2 de Junio de 2016, 6:00 pmExcelsior, Excelsior: Sala de Reuniones
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens
- Jueves 2 de Junio de 2016, 6:00 pmRichmond, Richmond: Sala de Reuniones