Join us at the 3rd San Francisco Green Film Festival for this special free event!
This year, attendees will learn about the threats of plastic pollution to animals and humans, and talk with experts in this area.
- Winners from the 2013 Breathe California student video contest (8 mins) - sponsored by SF Green Film Festival.
- “Scars of Freedom” (6 mins) - A moving film about a whale’s struggle for survival off the coast of Chile’s Juan Fernandez Archipelago, from filmmaker Celine Cousteau.
- “Coastguards” (4 mins) - A short film about humanity’s obsession and mixture of fear and fascination for sharks.
- “Plastic Paradise” (57 mins) - Travel with filmmaker Angela Sun to Midway Atoll, a remote island in the Pacific, as she seeks to uncover the mystery behind the island of garbage that everyone has heard of but no one truly understands. What she discovers is the Great Pacific Garbage Patch, an island littered with plastics, causing great harm not only to our beaches, oceans, and sea life, but to ourselves. Midway sees 20 tons of plastic trash wash ashore each year and as we watch her sift through ordinary household items among the debris – reusable coffee mugs, flip flops, lighters, even a computer monitor – we find ourselves uncomfortably complicit. This film tackles a seriously daunting problem with high energy and humor, archival footage, and animation as it tracks down the who, what, where and why of this phenomena. Along the way Sun speaks to scientists, environmental activists, the plastic bag guy, marine researchers, plastics industry representatives, even Jack Johnson, to get a sense of how our obsession with plastic began, where it all went wrong and how we can fix it. Discussion following films.
All are welcome to attend this free festival program. Further Information: http://sfgreenfilmfest.org
This is a Stegner Environmental Center, San Francisco Green Film Festival and Green Stacks Program.
This is a Green Stacks event.
This is a Films & Videos program from SFPL. From feature films to youth-made videos, we’ve got something great to watch.
- Films for Adults: Pat and Mike
- Monday, January 23, 2017, 3:00 pmGolden Gate Valley, Golden Gate Valley Meeting Room
- Video Studio: Open House
- Wednesday, January 25, 2017, 4:00 pmMain Library, Mix: Video - 2nd Fl
- Film: Of the Sea
- Wednesday, January 25, 2017, 6:00 pmMain Library, Koret Auditorium