Randall Tarpey-Schwed's interest in books that portray gay and lesbian parents began as a simple search for books to read to his young children that portrayed "his" kind of family. Join us when Mr. Tarpey-Schwed presents a well-illustrated talk. He will discuss the first such children's book which appeared in 1979, to the controversy that surrounded the publication of Heather Has Two Mommies; from the relative dearth of such books during the AIDS crisis of the 1980s to the early portrayals of same-gender marriages. We will learn how changes in society have been mirrored in the pages of these books, and how they have changed for the better over time. The talk will conclude with a discussion of a few of Mr. Tarpey-Schwed's personal recommendations.
- Radar Presents a Night of Banned and Challenged Books
- Martes 23 de Septiembre de 2014Biblioteca Central, Auditorio Koret
- Poetry Reading by Chun Yu
- Sábado 27 de Septiembre de 2014Chinatown/Him Mark Lai, Chinatown: Sala de Reuniones
- Authentic Happiness in Seven Emails
- Miércoles 8 de Octubre de 2014Parkside, Parkside Children's Area