Yone Noguchi, the father of acclaimed artist Isamu Noguchi, had at least four simultaneous affairs at the turn of the century. As he shared kisses with Kosen Takahashi, he also professed love to Charles Warren Stoddard, impregnated Leonie Gilmour, and proposed marriage to Ethel Armes. What would these interracial, same-sex, and intergenerational affairs mean about race, nation and sexuality in America more than 100 years ago?
Amy Sueyoshi is the author of Queer Compulsions: Race, Nation, and Sexuality in the Affairs of Yone Noguchi. She holds a Ph.D. in history from UCLA and has published on a number of topics ranging from cross-dressing, same-sex marriage and Asian American pornography. She is the Associate Dean of the College of Ethnic Studies at San Francisco State University and is also on the board of directors of the GLBT Historical Society.
- Poetry Reading by Chun Yu
- Sábado 27 de Septiembre de 2014Chinatown/Him Mark Lai, Chinatown: Sala de Reuniones
- Authentic Happiness in Seven Emails
- Miércoles 8 de Octubre de 2014Parkside, Parkside Children's Area
- The Public Library: A Photographic Essay
- Sábado 11 de Octubre de 2014Noe Valley/Sally Brunn, Noe Valley: Sala de Reuniones