Commemorating Tenderloin Residents
Join us for the launch of a new book, Death in the Tenderloin, a compilation of posthumous stories drawn from the pages of the Central City Extra, the Tenderloin’s neighborhood newspaper. The book chronicles the passing of 99 residents – some saints, some sinners – who died in San Francisco’s most notorious and poorest neighborhood. Among the stories are those of SRO-hotel pioneer Leroy Looper and Hank Wilson, the Mother Teresa of the Tenderloin. These “curtain calls” reveal the many paths of neighborhood lives and the universal journey of human existence.
Panel discussion with the book's authors: Tom Carter and Marjorie Beggs, moderated by Geoff Link, editor of Central City Extra.
- RADAR Presents Reading + Launch Party:
- Thursday, September 4, 2014Main Library, Latino/Hispanic Rms A & B
- Across the African Diaspora: Islam and Sexuality
- Saturday, September 13, 2014Main Library, Koret Auditorium
- Poetry Reading by Chun Yu
- Saturday, September 27, 2014Chinatown/Him Mark Lai, Chinatown Meeting Room