Commemorating Tenderloin Residents
Join us for the launch of a new book, Death in the Tenderloin, a compilation of posthumous stories drawn from the pages of the Central City Extra, the Tenderloin’s neighborhood newspaper. The book chronicles the passing of 99 residents – some saints, some sinners – who died in San Francisco’s most notorious and poorest neighborhood. Among the stories are those of SRO-hotel pioneer Leroy Looper and Hank Wilson, the Mother Teresa of the Tenderloin. These “curtain calls” reveal the many paths of neighborhood lives and the universal journey of human existence.
Panel discussion with the book's authors: Tom Carter and Marjorie Beggs, moderated by Geoff Link, editor of Central City Extra.
- Delicious Desserts: Alice Medrich speaks
- Tuesday, October 13, 2015, 3:00 pmMain Library, Koret Auditorium
- Slavery: Ancient Greece and Rome vs. the American South
- Wednesday, October 14, 2015, 7:00 pmMerced, Merced General Floor Area
- Between His Walking Words/Entre Sus Palabras Andantes
- Sunday, October 18, 2015, 3:00 pmMain Library, Latino/Hispanic Rms A & B