Over 400 years old, the Hamamatsu Festival is a celebration held each year in the town of Hamamatsu, Japan, from May 3 to May 5. Local towns which participate in the kite battles and float parades of the festival create cotton banners, called tenugui, with unique designs and colors that act as logos to help spectators identify the different groups competing. The library will be presenting over 100 of these tenugui cloths, along with the history of one of Japan’s most prominent events.
- At Home In Exile
- Wednesday, January 25, 2017, 7:00 pmMerced, Merced General Floor Area
- Lunar New Year Movie: The Karate Kid
- Saturday, January 28, 2017, 2:30 pmPark, Park Meeting Room
- The Worlds of Bernice Bing
- Saturday, February 11, 2017, 2:00 pmMain Library, Latino/Hispanic Rms A & B