On New Year's Eve, 1866, Professor Risley arrived in San Francisco from Yokohama, Japan. He was accompanied by the Imperial Japanese Troupe of acrobats and performers. Risley was a famous acrobat in his own right.
In this presentation heavily illustrated with photographs and drawings, award-winning author Frederik L. Schodt will reveal the incredible but true story of Risley and his troupe, who gave the world one of its first glimpses of Japanese popular culture.
Professor Risley and the imperial Japanese troupe: how an American acrobat introduced circus to Japan, and Japan to the West.
- Part of Our Lives
- Jueves 10 de Septiembre de 2015, 6:00 pmBiblioteca Central, Auditorio Koret
- The American Plate with Libby O'Connell
- Viernes 11 de Septiembre de 2015, 4:00 pmBiblioteca Central, Sala Latino/Hispana A & B
- Building Community and Leadership
- Sábado 12 de Septiembre de 2015, 1:00 pmBiblioteca Central, Sala Latino/Hispana B