Join us for a reading and booksigning with Alysia Abbott, author of Fairyland, a vibrant memoir about growing up motherless in 1970s and ’80s San Francisco with an openly gay father.After his wife dies in a car accident, bisexual writer and activist Steve Abbott moves with his two-year-old daughter to San Francisco. There they discover a city in the midst of revolution, bustling with gay men in search of liberation—few of whom are raising a child.
In Alysia’s teens, Steve’s friends—several of whom she has befriended—fall ill as AIDS starts its rampage through their community. While Alysia is studying in New York and then in France, her father tells her it’s time to come home; he’s sick with AIDS. Alysia must choose whether to take on the responsibility of caring for her father or continue the independent life she has worked so hard to create.
Reconstructing their life together from a remarkable cache of her father’s journals, letters, and writings, Alysia Abbott gives us an unforgettable portrait of a tumultuous, historic time in San Francisco as well as an exquisitely moving account of a father’s legacy and a daughter’s love.
This event is co-sponsored by the Hormel Gay and Lesbian Center and the San Francisco History Center.
- Broadway Actor and Author Martin Moran
- Domingo 11 de Diciembre de 2016, 3:00 pmBiblioteca Central, Centro de Gays y Lesbianas
- Radar Reading Series
- Martes 13 de Diciembre de 2016, 6:00 pmBiblioteca Central, Sala Latino/Hispana A & B
- Shock and Awe - Performance by Ethan Rafal
- Miércoles 14 de Diciembre de 2016, 6:00 pmBiblioteca Central, Sala Latino/Hispana A & B