After seeing the Gershwin musical, Nice Work If You Can Get It, on Broadway last fall, Tim was inspired to explore the lives and music of the Gershwin brothers, George and Ira. Holt will perform and play songs from the musical, including "'S Wonderful" and "Do Do Do," as well as selections from Porgy and Bess, and other works by the Gershwin team. He'll discuss their contribution to American popular music and give a behind-the-scenes look at how they weaved music and words seamlessly together. Tim will also discuss the work of other great composers from that era: Harold Arlen ("Somewhere Over The Rainbow"), Irving Berlin ("Cheek To Cheek") and Jerome Kern ("'Ol Man River"). As in his other programs, Tim will encourage audience members to celebrate our musical heritage by singing right along with him.
- OWL: Older Writers Laboratory
- Monday, November 24, 2014Bernal Heights, Bernal Heights Meeting Room
- Legacy of Isadora
- Saturday, November 29, 2014Main Library, Koret Auditorium
- Jeff Campbell - Highland Bagpiper
- Saturday, November 29, 2014Main Library, Children's Center