The Tales of Hoffman, by Jacques Offenbach
'A Tale of Three Women'
E.T.A. Hoffman (author of 'The Nutcracker') recalls his three tragic loves: Olympia the mechanical doll; Guilietta the greedy courtesan; and the genuinely good Antonia, who dies despite being treated by 'Dr. Miracle'. When the drunk Hoffman's current flame Stella appears, he sees her as the embodiment of 'The Three'. And he rejects her!
"Opera for the People" is a lecture series run by Larry Oppenheim. Larry is currently President of the Kensington Symphony Orchestra in the East Bay, where he is co-principal oboe and solo English horn. He also writes the program notes. Larry's goal is to make classical music more enjoyable and accessible to "all the people".
Each opera in this lecture series is being performed by local companies (Pocket Opera or San Francisco Opera), close to the times of the lectures. Check out the opera with your newfound knowledge!
- CANCELLED--Myths and Blackholes in Dog Behavior
- Saturday, April 26, 2014Sunset, Sunset Children's Area
- Managing Your Money
- Thursday, May 15, 2014Ocean View, Ocean View Meeting Room
- The Evolving Chinese Dress, 1909-1973
- Thursday, May 15, 2014West Portal, West Portal Children's Area