Lily Tung Crystal portrays Tye Leung Schulze, a San Francisco woman who made history. She was the first Chinese-American woman to vote in the U.S. and the first Chinese-American to work a federal civil service job when she became a translator at the Angel Island immigration station. Tye also worked courageously with activist Donaldina Cameron to rescue enslaved Chinese girls in Chinatown. The program covers Tye’s dramatic life from childhood into her adult years.
The piece is written by Christina Ying, directed by Desdemona Chiang, and produced in conjunction with Ferocious Lotus Theatre Company. Following the performance, Tye's grandson, Ted Schulze, will lead a discussion about her remarkable story.
- Art in Action: How It’s Done
- Viernes 14 de Marzo de 2014Biblioteca Central, Centro de Música
- Japanese program
- Sábado 15 de Marzo de 2014Biblioteca Central, Auditorio Koret
- Aging & Disability Resource Center
- Lunes 17 de Marzo de 2014Richmond/Senator Milton Marks, Richmond: Sala de Reuniones