Lily Tung Crystal portrays Tye Leung Schulze, a San Francisco woman who made history. She was the first Chinese-American woman to vote in the U.S. and the first Chinese-American to work a federal civil service job when she became a translator at the Angel Island immigration station. Tye also worked courageously with activist Donaldina Cameron to rescue enslaved Chinese girls in Chinatown. The program covers Tye’s dramatic life from childhood into her adult years.
The piece is written by Christina Ying, directed by Desdemona Chiang, and produced in conjunction with Ferocious Lotus Theatre Company. Following the performance, Tye's grandson, Ted Schulze, will lead a discussion about her remarkable story.
- Exploring World Cinema: Hero
- Jueves 14 de Mayo de 2015Golden Gate Valley, Golden Gate: Sala de Reuniones
- APIA Women Breaking History
- Sábado 16 de Mayo de 2015Biblioteca Central, Sala Latino/Hispana A & B
- Charlie Chin Presents Traditional Chinese Stories
- Sábado 16 de Mayo de 2015Biblioteca Central, Centro de Niños: Sala Creativa