This lecture, demonstration, and tasting session will outline the
processes and techniques of vinegar-brined pickles (both canned and
quick), and fermented pickles, and offer useful tips for the home DIY
enthusiast. And as time permits, we'll also discuss some of the more
peculiar pickling possibilities from the fringes of preserved fruits
and vegetables - soy sauce pickling, nuka (rice bran) pickling beds,
salt-cured pickles, and Electric Kool-Aid pickles. Bring your
questions and your pickling passion!
Karen Solomon is the author of Jam It, Pickle it, Cure It; Can It, Bottle It, Smoke It; and the Asian Pickles e-cookbook and print cookbook series. In addition, Karen has written about pickling and food preservation for a host of publications, including Saveur.com, The Blender (the blog of Williams Sonoma), Fine Cooking, Prevention, Yoga Journal, Vegetarian Times, and the San Francisco Chronicle. When no one is looking, she drinks pickle brine by the shot.
- From Homelessness to Housing in San Francisco
- Wednesday, March 1, 2017, 6:00 pmMain Library, Koret Auditorium
- Soul-Making Keats Literary Awards
- Sunday, March 5, 2017, 1:00 pmMain Library, Koret Auditorium
- My Life with Audree (ASL)
- Wednesday, March 8, 2017, 6:00 pmMain Library, Latino/Hispanic Rms A & B