San Francisco’s Laguna Honda Hospital is the last almshouse in the country, a descendant of the Hôtel-Dieu (God’s Hotel) that cared for the sick in the Middle Ages. Ballet dancers and rock musicians, professors and thieves — “anyone who had fallen, or, often, leapt, onto hard times” and needed extended medical care — ended up there. Dr. Sweet ended up there herself, as a physician. And though she came for only a two-month stay, she remained for twenty years.
In God’s Hotel: A Doctor, a Hospital, and a Pilgrimage to the Heart of Medicine Dr. Sweet lays out her evidence—in stories of her patients and her hospital—for some new ideas about medicine and healthcare in this country. In trying to get control of healthcare costs by emphasizing “efficiency,” we’ve headed down a wrong path. Medicine works best—that is, arrives at the right diagnosis and the right treatment for the least cost—when the doctor has enough time to do a good job, and pays attention not only to the patient but to what’s around the patient.
God's Hotel is the On the Same Page selection for January/February 2014. Readers Books will sell books at the event.
- Author Talk: God's Hotel
- Jueves 2 de Octubre de 2014Sunset, Sunset: Área Juvenil
- Computer Help for Adults/Seniors
- Sábado 4 de Octubre de 2014Portola, Portola: Área Principal
- OWL: Older Writers Laboratory
- Lunes 6 de Octubre de 2014Bernal Heights, Bernal Heights: Sala de Reuniones
- Wednesday Afternoon Tai Chi with Patrick Lau
- Miércoles 1 de Octubre de 2014Presidio , Presidio: Sala de Reuniones
- Basic Computer Class for Seniors
- Jueves 2 de Octubre de 2014Ocean View, Sala de Computadoras
- Teen Computer Corps
- Domingo 5 de Octubre de 2014Ortega, Ortega: Sala de Reuniones