San Francisco’s Laguna Honda Hospital is the last almshouse in the country, a descendant of the Hôtel-Dieu (God’s Hotel) that cared for the sick in the Middle Ages. Ballet dancers and rock musicians, professors and thieves — “anyone who had fallen, or, often, leapt, onto hard times” and needed extended medical care — ended up there. Dr. Sweet ended up there herself, as a physician. And though she came for only a two-month stay, she remained for twenty years.
In God’s Hotel: A Doctor, a Hospital, and a Pilgrimage to the Heart of Medicine Dr. Sweet lays out her evidence—in stories of her patients and her hospital—for some new ideas about medicine and healthcare in this country. In trying to get control of healthcare costs by emphasizing “efficiency,” we’ve headed down a wrong path. Medicine works best—that is, arrives at the right diagnosis and the right treatment for the least cost—when the doctor has enough time to do a good job, and pays attention not only to the patient but to what’s around the patient.
God's Hotel is the On the Same Page selection for January/February 2014. Readers Books will sell books at the event.
- OWL: Older Writers Laboratory
- Lunes 25 de Agosto de 2014Bernal Heights, Bernal Heights: Sala de Reuniones
- Everything in Pen Sings Of Books
- Miércoles 27 de Agosto de 2014Merced, Merced: Área Principal
- RADAR Presents Reading + Launch Party:
- Jueves 4 de Septiembre de 2014Biblioteca Central, Sala Latino/Hispana A & B
- Wednesday Afternoon Tai Chi with Patrick Lau
- Miércoles 20 de Agosto de 2014Presidio , Presidio: Sala de Reuniones
- Internet 101
- Jueves 21 de Agosto de 2014Chinatown/Him Mark Lai, Chinatown: Zona de Computadoras
- CANCELLED Adults & Seniors Computer Class
- Jueves 21 de Agosto de 2014Richmond/Senator Milton Marks, Richmond: Sala de Reuniones