San Francisco’s Laguna Honda Hospital is the last almshouse in the country, a descendant of the Hôtel-Dieu (God’s Hotel) that cared for the sick in the Middle Ages. Ballet dancers and rock musicians, professors and thieves — “anyone who had fallen, or, often, leapt, onto hard times” and needed extended medical care — ended up there. Dr. Sweet ended up there herself, as a physician. And though she came for only a two-month stay, she remained for twenty years.
In God’s Hotel: A Doctor, a Hospital, and a Pilgrimage to the Heart of Medicine Dr. Sweet lays out her evidence—in stories of her patients and her hospital—for some new ideas about medicine and healthcare in this country. In trying to get control of healthcare costs by emphasizing “efficiency,” we’ve headed down a wrong path. Medicine works best—that is, arrives at the right diagnosis and the right treatment for the least cost—when the doctor has enough time to do a good job, and pays attention not only to the patient but to what’s around the patient.
God's Hotel is the On the Same Page selection for January/February 2014. Readers Books will sell books at the event.
- OWL: Older Writers Laboratory
- 星期一, 2015年8月31日, 10:00 amBernal Heights 分館, Bernal Heights 分館會議室
- Aging and Disability Resource Center Free Counseling
- 星期三, 2015年9月2日, 2:30 pmMarina 分館, Marina 公眾範圍
- Seniors CREATE! at the Bridge
- 星期四, 2015年9月3日, 2:00 pmMain 總圖書館, 學習工作室
- Teen Computer Corps
- 星期日, 2015年8月30日, 2:00 pmOrtega 分館, Ortega 分館會議室
- Basic Computer Class
- 星期一, 2015年8月31日, 11:00 amWestern Addition 分館, Western Addition 分館會議室
- Wednesday Afternoon Tai Chi with Patrick Lau
- 星期三, 2015年9月2日, 1:30 pmPresidio 分館, Presidio 分館會議室