In the late 1920s San Francisco, the retired Pinkerton detective turned pulp crime writer, Samuel Dashiell Hammett, is dragged into a mystery right out of one of his own stories, in a moody and atmospheric homage to pulp mysteries, film noir and the City.
Hammett is called on to return a favor for a private eye pal, who insists he investigate a missing girl in Chinatown. The trail starts simply but leads to crooked officials, slavery rackets, and ultimately to the source of the big money... Join us for a little-seen noir film that evokes The Big Sleep, Chinatown and The Maltese Falcon.
Starring Frederic Forrest, Peter Boyle, Marilu Henner, Lydia Lei & Elisha Cook Jr. Directed by Wim Wenders; based on the novel by Joe Gores; score by John Barry.
1982 -- 97 min. -- Rated PG
This is a Films & Videos program from SFPL. From feature films to youth-made videos, we’ve got something great to watch.
- Films for Adults
- Monday, May 2, 2016, 3:00 pmGolden Gate Valley, Golden Gate Valley Meeting Room
- Film Night: Eat Drink Man Woman
- Tuesday, May 3, 2016, 6:00 pmRichmond, Richmond Meeting Room
- Teen Movie: Mockingjay Pt.2
- Wednesday, May 4, 2016, 3:30 pmExcelsior, Excelsior Meeting Room