Longfellow Deeds lives in a small town in Vermont, writing poetry for greeting cards and playing the tuba in the town band. His contented life comes to a halt when he inherits a fortune from a distant uncle. Before long Deeds is living in the big city – and being preyed upon by an unscrupulous attorney and a hard-nosed reporter from a sensationalist daily newspaper. Fortunately, it’s hard to cheat an honest man!
Frank Capra directed this film, for which he won his second Best Director Academy Award. He delayed filming for six months until Gary Cooper became available to play Longfellow Deeds, as Cooper was his only choice for the role.
Black and white; 115 minutes.
This is a Films & Videos program from SFPL. From feature films to youth-made videos, we’ve got something great to watch.
- Middle East Heritage Movie
- Tuesday, September 27, 2016, 3:30 pmNorth Beach, North Beach Meeting Room
- The Kite Runner
- Tuesday, September 27, 2016, 4:00 pmPark, Park Meeting Room
- We The Voters: 20 Films to Watch Before You Vote
- Tuesday, September 27, 2016, 5:30 pmMain Library, Mix: Carpet Garden - 2nd Fl