THIS EVENT HAS BEEN CANCELED AND WILL BE RESCHEDULED FOR A LATER DATE.
The story of Fernando Alonso, who died on July 27, 2013, at the age of 98 years old, as told in Toba Singer's newly published book, Fernando Alonso: the Father of Cuban Ballet, represents a unique insight into the development of Cuban ballet and the Cuban school. Up until the publication of this book this story was a missing piece of documented dance history.
Toba Singer will make a presentation on her topic and research. Singer will be joined for a panel discussion by; Lupe Calzadilla, former member of the Cuban National Ballet; and Jorge Esquivel, former Principal Dancer with Cuban National Ballet and former Character Dancer with San Francisco Ballet. They will contribute stories from their real life experiences with Fernando Alonso and the Cuban ballet school.
Este evento es parte de ¡Viva! una celebración del Mes de la Herencia Latino/Hispana de la Biblioteca Pública de San Francisco.
- Author Talk with Kathryn Ma; The Year She Left Us
- Sábado 1 de Noviembre de 2014Biblioteca Central, Sala Latino/Hispana A & B
- Building Social Courage
- Domingo 9 de Noviembre de 2014Potrero, Potrero: Sala de Reuniones
- Author Talk: Working Stiff
- Miércoles 12 de Noviembre de 2014Anza, Anza: Sala de Reuniones