A book talk by Judy Juanita. Her latest novel Virgin Soul will be discussed.
About Virgin Soul:
At first glance, Geniece's story sounds like that of a typical young woman: she goes to college, has romantic entanglements, builds meaningful friendships, and juggles her schedule with a part-time job. However, she does all of these things in 1960s San Francisco while becoming a militant member of the Black Panther movement. When Huey Newton is jailed in October 1967 and the Panthers explode nationwide, Geniece enters the organization's dark and dangerous world of guns, FBI agents, freewheeling sex on demand, quasi-legal adventures, police repression, and fatal shoot-outs--all while balancing her other life as a college student. Virgin Soul is a moving novel of one young woman's life spinning out of the typical and into the extraordinary during one of the most politically and racially charged eras in America's history.
- 4th Anniversary Merced Branch Library Open House
- Miércoles 20 de Mayo de 2015Merced, Merced: Área Principal
- Author talk with Shohreh Aghdashloo
- Jueves 21 de Mayo de 2015Potrero, Potrero: Sala de Reuniones
- Francisco X. Alarcόn & Maria Elena Gaitán in Concert
- Martes 26 de Mayo de 2015Biblioteca Central, Auditorio Koret
*Patrocinado por los Amigos de la Biblioteca Pública de San Francisco.