Historian Hillary Don discusses his book, Across the Pacific Ocean with Paddle Steamship China. From 1867 to 1879, the wooden, sidewheel-paddle steamship boldly carried thousands of transpacific ocean passengers- including William Seward and Anson Burlingame—over 6,000 hazardous nautical miles from San Francisco, California, to Yokohama, Japan, and Hong Kong, China. It helped unite the East and West coasts of the United States and developed trade between the youngest and two of the oldest civilizations in the world. Now only the aft deckhouse of the ship survives as “China Cabin” in Belvedere.
- Computer Help for Adults/Seniors
- Wednesday, October 26, 2016, 4:00 pmRichmond, Richmond Meeting Room
- March of the Suffragettes
- Wednesday, October 26, 2016, 7:00 pmMerced, Merced General Floor Area
- "The Adventures of S. Phaeton" Radio Play
- Saturday, October 29, 2016, 1:30 pmNoe Valley, Noe Valley Meeting Room
- CANCELLED. Microsoft Word: Intermediate Skills
- Wednesday, October 26, 2016, 9:30 amMain Library, 5th Floor Computer Training Ctr.
- Wednesday Afternoon Tai Chi with Patrick Lau
- Wednesday, October 26, 2016, 1:30 pmPresidio, Presidio Meeting Room
- Book a Librarian
- Thursday, October 27, 2016, 3:00 pmMarina, Marina General Floor Area