Historian Hillary Don discusses his book, Across the Pacific Ocean with Paddle Steamship China. From 1867 to 1879, the wooden, sidewheel-paddle steamship boldly carried thousands of transpacific ocean passengers- including William Seward and Anson Burlingame—over 6,000 hazardous nautical miles from San Francisco, California, to Yokohama, Japan, and Hong Kong, China. It helped unite the East and West coasts of the United States and developed trade between the youngest and two of the oldest civilizations in the world. Now only the aft deckhouse of the ship survives as “China Cabin” in Belvedere.
- OWL: Older Writers Laboratory
- Monday, December 5, 2016, 10:00 amBernal Heights, Bernal Heights Meeting Room
- Frank Lloyd Wright and San Francisco
- Tuesday, December 6, 2016, 6:00 pmMain Library, Koret Auditorium
- Author Lorraine Rominger
- Tuesday, December 6, 2016, 6:00 pmMain Library, Latino/Hispanic Rms A & B
- Book a Librarian in Russian
- Tuesday, December 6, 2016, 10:30 amMain Library, 5th Floor Computer Training Ctr.
- Microsoft Word: Basic Skills
- Wednesday, December 7, 2016, 12:30 pmMain Library, 5th Floor Computer Training Ctr.
- Wednesday Afternoon Tai Chi with Patrick Lau
- Wednesday, December 7, 2016, 1:30 pmPresidio, Presidio Meeting Room