Les Contes d'Hoffmann (The Tales of Hoffman), by Jacques Offenbach
'A Tale of Three Women'
E.T.A. Hoffman (author of 'The Nutcracker') recalls his three tragic loves: Olympia the mechanical doll; Guilietta the greedy courtesan; and the genuinely good Antonia, who dies despite being treated by 'Dr. Miracle'. When the drunk Hoffman's current flame Stella appears, he sees her as the embodiment of 'The Three'. And he rejects her!
SF Opera is performing The Tales of Hoffmann from June 5 through July 6. Go see the opera with your newfound knowledge!
"Opera for the People" is a lecture series run by Larry Oppenheim. He is President of the Kensington Symphony Orchestra in the East Bay, where he is co-principal oboe and solo English horn. He also writes the program notes. Larry's goal is to make classical music more enjoyable and accessible to "all the people".
- Crossroads Irish-American Festival Hour
- Saturday, March 7, 2015Main Library, Children's Storytelling Rm - 2nd Fl
- Russian Kaleidoscope - Russian, Ukrainian and Gypsy Music
- Saturday, March 7, 2015Western Addition, Western Addition Meeting Room
- Bernal Jazz Quartet
- Wednesday, March 11, 2015Bernal Heights, Bernal Heights Meeting Room