This intergenerational presentation will showcase poetry and memoirs about the imprisonment of over 120,000 Japanese Americans in prison camps during World War II. Brian Komei Dempster--a third-generation Sansei--will read poems from his debut collection, Topaz, which looks at the lasting effects of wartime incarceration on his maternal family and younger generations. Along with Dempster, a group of former camp prisoners and mainly second-generation Nisei writers--Florence Ohmura Dobashi, Sato Hashizume, and Daisy Satoda--will present their first-person stories. A book sale by Readers Books follows the event.
- Grafton Tyler Brown
- Wednesday, February 22, 2017, 7:00 pmMerced, Merced General Floor Area
- From Homelessness to Housing in San Francisco
- Wednesday, March 1, 2017, 6:00 pmMain Library, Koret Auditorium
- Soul-Making Keats Literary Awards
- Sunday, March 5, 2017, 1:00 pmMain Library, Koret Auditorium