This intergenerational presentation will showcase poetry and memoirs about the imprisonment of over 120,000 Japanese Americans in prison camps during World War II. Brian Komei Dempster--a third-generation Sansei--will read poems from his debut collection, Topaz, which looks at the lasting effects of wartime incarceration on his maternal family and younger generations. Along with Dempster, a group of former camp prisoners and mainly second-generation Nisei writers--Florence Ohmura Dobashi, Sato Hashizume, and Daisy Satoda--will present their first-person stories. A book sale by Readers Books follows the event.
- At Home In Exile
- Wednesday, January 25, 2017, 7:00 pmMerced, Merced General Floor Area
- Scandinavian Crime Thrillers Today
- Wednesday, February 1, 2017, 6:00 pmMain Library, Latino/Hispanic Rms A & B
- Author Event - Matt Richtel
- Saturday, February 4, 2017, 11:00 amWest Portal, West Portal Children's Area