The Merola Opera Program and the San Francisco Public Library Main Branch are teaming up to show you some of the best operas captured on film! Merola Goes to the Movies showcases classic operas and performances, featuring some of the world’s greatest opera stars. Each film is preceded by a talk by one of our Merola experts, who will give you an insider’s look at the opera and interesting facts about the making of the film.
All screenings start at 1 PM in the Koret Auditorium.
Saturday, January 11th
A NIGHT AT THE OPERA
Starring: The Marx Brothers, Margaret Dumont, Kitty Carlisle
Directed by Sam Wood Black and White; Not Rated; 93 minutes; 1935.
What happens when the Marx Brothers go to the opera? A comedy film classic! There are plenty of high-jinxs and high Cs as Groucho and boys enter high society as they try to secure a major Italian singer for the New York Opera Company! This classic features selections from Il Trovatore and Pagliacci.
(Photo credit: David Wakely)
- Opera for the People Lecture Series
- Domingo 26 de Abril de 2015Noe Valley, Noe Valley: Sala de Reuniones
- Toba Singer and Jose Manuel Carreno
- Martes 28 de Abril de 2015Biblioteca Central, Sala Latino/Hispana A & B
- The Gershwin Brothers and the Broadway Musical
- Miércoles 29 de Abril de 2015Excelsior, Excelsior: Sala de Reuniones