The Merola Opera Program and the San Francisco Public Library Main Branch are teaming up to show you some of the best operas captured on film! Merola Goes to the Movies showcases classic operas and performances, featuring some of the world’s greatest opera stars. Each film is preceded by a talk by one of our Merola experts, who will give you an insider’s look at the opera and interesting facts about the making of the film.
All screenings start at 1 PM in the Koret Auditorium.
Saturday, January 11th
A NIGHT AT THE OPERA
Starring: The Marx Brothers, Margaret Dumont, Kitty Carlisle
Directed by Sam Wood Black and White; Not Rated; 93 minutes; 1935.
What happens when the Marx Brothers go to the opera? A comedy film classic! There are plenty of high-jinxs and high Cs as Groucho and boys enter high society as they try to secure a major Italian singer for the New York Opera Company! This classic features selections from Il Trovatore and Pagliacci.
(Photo credit: David Wakely)
- Opera for the People
- Domingo 31 de Agosto de 2014Noe Valley/Sally Brunn, Noe Valley: Sala de Reuniones
- 2014 - 2015 Opera Preview Lecture
- Miércoles 3 de Septiembre de 2014Biblioteca Central, Auditorio Koret
- Potrero Hill Flute Ensemble
- Sábado 6 de Septiembre de 2014Potrero, Potrero: Sala de Reuniones