The Merola Opera Program and the San Francisco Public Library Main Branch are teaming up to show you some of the best operas captured on film! Merola Goes to the Movies showcases classic operas and performances, featuring some of the world’s greatest opera stars. Each film is preceded by a talk by one of our Merola experts, who will give you an insider’s look at the opera and interesting facts about the making of the film.
All screenings start at 1 PM in the Koret Auditorium.
Saturday, March 29th
THE MAGIC FLUTE
Starring: Josef Köstlinger, Irma Urrila, Håkan Hagegård, Birgit Nordin
Directed by Ingmar Bergman, Not Rated, 135 minutes; 1975
Ingmar Bergman puts his indelible stamp on Mozart’s exquisite opera in this sublime rendering of one of the composer’s best-loved works: a celebration of love, forgiveness, and the brotherhood of man. In Swedish with English subtitles.
(Photo credit: David Wakely)
- Phonographic Memory: Bridging Generations and Genres
- Jueves 26 de Mayo de 2016, 6:15 pmBiblioteca Central, Sala Latino/Hispana A & B
- Six Roses
- Sábado 4 de Junio de 2016, 3:30 pmWestern Addition, Western Addition: Área Principal
- Musical Outdoor Storytime
- Martes 7 de Junio de 2016, 10:30 am