‘The Devil Gets his Due’
Mephistopheles, the devil, wagers God that he can win Faust's soul. Mephistopheles then persuades Faust to sell his soul for a moment of perfect happiness. Just as Mephistopheles appears to have won the bet, the dying Faust dreams of ruling a peaceful nation. God pardons Faust as the defeated Mephistopheles sarcastically whistles in defiance.
SF Opera is performing Mephistopheles from September 6 through October 2.
Opera for the People is a lecture series by Larry Oppenheim designed for both the opera novice and the experienced opera lover. In less than an hour, you’ll enjoy a guided tour of an opera which combines concise commentary with exciting video excerpts. If you are new to opera, you will discover the key anchor points to listen for. If you are an opera veteran, you will come away with new insights and a fresh perspective. And if you plan to attend a performance, your enhanced knowledge should increase your enjoyment!
Larry Oppenheim is president of the Kensington Symphony Orchestra (East Bay), where he is co-principal oboe, and also writes the program notes. Larry’s goal is to make opera more enjoyable and accessible to everyone – including those who may have never gone to an opera.
- A Wild Woman Sings the Blues
- Martes 16 de Septiembre de 2014Biblioteca Central, Auditorio Koret
- String Play
- Miércoles 17 de Septiembre de 2014Chinatown/Him Mark Lai, Chinatown: Sala de Reuniones
- Opera for the People Lecture Series
- Sábado 20 de Septiembre de 2014Noe Valley/Sally Brunn, Noe Valley: Sala de Reuniones
- Destiny Arts-Capoira
- Martes 23 de Septiembre de 2014Visitacion Valley, Visitacion Valley: Sala de Reuniones
- Zumba Basics
- Viernes 26 de Septiembre de 2014Biblioteca Central, Sala de Cuentos
- Come Learn How to Salsa and Bachata!
- Martes 30 de Septiembre de 2014Richmond/Senator Milton Marks, Richmond: Sala de Reuniones