‘The Devil Gets his Due’
Mephistopheles, the devil, wagers God that he can win Faust's soul. Mephistopheles then persuades Faust to sell his soul for a moment of perfect happiness. Just as Mephistopheles appears to have won the bet, the dying Faust dreams of ruling a peaceful nation. God pardons Faust as the defeated Mephistopheles sarcastically whistles in defiance.
SF Opera is performing Mephistopheles from September 6 through October 2.
Opera for the People is a lecture series by Larry Oppenheim designed for both the opera novice and the experienced opera lover. In less than an hour, you’ll enjoy a guided tour of an opera which combines concise commentary with exciting video excerpts. If you are new to opera, you will discover the key anchor points to listen for. If you are an opera veteran, you will come away with new insights and a fresh perspective. And if you plan to attend a performance, your enhanced knowledge should increase your enjoyment!
Larry Oppenheim is president of the Kensington Symphony Orchestra (East Bay), where he is co-principal oboe, and also writes the program notes. Larry’s goal is to make opera more enjoyable and accessible to everyone – including those who may have never gone to an opera.
- Crossroads Irish-American Festival Hour
- Sábado 7 de Marzo de 2015Biblioteca Central, Sala de Cuentos - 2ª Planta
- Russian Kaleidoscope - Russian, Ukrainian and Gypsy Music
- Sábado 7 de Marzo de 2015Western Addition, Western Addition: Sala de Reuniones
- Bernal Jazz Quartet
- Miércoles 11 de Marzo de 2015Bernal Heights, Bernal Heights: Sala de Reuniones