‘The Ghostly Ship and the Faithful Woman’
A Dutch sea captain who once uttered an unfortunate curse is condemned to sail the seas for eternity. His only salvation is to find a woman who will be faithful until death. Once every seven years, he may go ashore in search of her. On shore, the young girl Senta is transfixed by a portrait of the legendary Flying Dutchman. With destiny calling her, Senta’s current boyfriend doesn’t stand a chance!
SF Opera is performing The Flying Dutchman from October 22 through November 15.
Opera for the People is a lecture series by Larry Oppenheim designed for both the opera novice and the experienced opera lover. In less than an hour, you’ll enjoy a guided tour of an opera which combines concise commentary with exciting video excerpts. If you are new to opera, you will discover the key anchor points to listen for. If you are an opera veteran, you will come away with new insights and a fresh perspective. And if you plan to attend a performance, your enhanced knowledge should increase your enjoyment!
Larry Oppenheim is president of the Kensington Symphony Orchestra (East Bay), where he is co-principal oboe, and also writes the program notes. Larry’s goal is to make opera more enjoyable and accessible to everyone – including those who may have never gone to an opera.
- Toba Singer and Jose Manuel Carreno
- Martes 28 de Abril de 2015Biblioteca Central, Sala Latino/Hispana A & B
- The Gershwin Brothers and the Broadway Musical
- Miércoles 29 de Abril de 2015Excelsior, Excelsior: Sala de Reuniones
- Film Series: The Making of a Ballerina – and Beyond
- Sábado 2 de Mayo de 2015Ocean View, Ocean View: Sala de Reuniones