‘The Ghostly Ship and the Faithful Woman’
A Dutch sea captain who once uttered an unfortunate curse is condemned to sail the seas for eternity. His only salvation is to find a woman who will be faithful until death. Once every seven years, he may go ashore in search of her. On shore, the young girl Senta is transfixed by a portrait of the legendary Flying Dutchman. With destiny calling her, Senta’s current boyfriend doesn’t stand a chance!
SF Opera is performing The Flying Dutchman from October 22 through November 15.
Opera for the People is a lecture series by Larry Oppenheim designed for both the opera novice and the experienced opera lover. In less than an hour, you’ll enjoy a guided tour of an opera which combines concise commentary with exciting video excerpts. If you are new to opera, you will discover the key anchor points to listen for. If you are an opera veteran, you will come away with new insights and a fresh perspective. And if you plan to attend a performance, your enhanced knowledge should increase your enjoyment!
Larry Oppenheim is president of the Kensington Symphony Orchestra (East Bay), where he is co-principal oboe, and also writes the program notes. Larry’s goal is to make opera more enjoyable and accessible to everyone – including those who may have never gone to an opera.
- 2014 - 2015 Opera Preview Lecture
- Miércoles 3 de Septiembre de 2014Biblioteca Central, Auditorio Koret
- Potrero Hill Flute Ensemble
- Sábado 6 de Septiembre de 2014Potrero, Potrero: Sala de Reuniones
- Zumba Basics
- Miércoles 10 de Septiembre de 2014Sunset, Sunset: Área Juvenil
- Destiny Arts-Capoira
- Martes 23 de Septiembre de 2014Visitacion Valley, Visitacion Valley: Sala de Reuniones
- Zumba Basics
- Viernes 26 de Septiembre de 2014Biblioteca Central, Sala de Cuentos
- Come Learn How to Salsa and Bachata!
- Martes 30 de Septiembre de 2014Richmond/Senator Milton Marks, Richmond: Sala de Reuniones