Before Flower Drum Song exploded on the Broadway stage and silver screen, a golden age of Chinese American nightclubs and performers flourished from the 1930s–1960s. Forbidden City, USA: Chinese American Nightclubs, 1936-1970 is a ground-breaking exhibition that chronicles the history, legacy, glitz and glamour of this little known Chinese American story. Join us for the opening event featuring the Grant Avenue Follies and Jimmy "Jay" Borges, former Forbidden City entertainer, performing songs and dances from the night clubs. Curator and author Arthur Dong will discuss the history and untold stories of Chinese American night clubs in San Francisco. Also special guest appearances by other Chinese American nightclub performers.
A book sale by Readers Books follows the event.
Forbidden City, USA: Chinese American Nightclubs, 1936-1970,
Main Library, Jewett Gallery, April 13 – July 6, 2014.
San Francisco History Center, the Chinese Center at the San Francisco Public Library, the Friends of the San Francisco Public Library, the California Historical Society, The Asian American Studies Department at San Francisco State University, Chinese Historical Society of America, Museum of Performance + Design, City Guides, Center for Asian American Media
- Chinese Book Club
- Sábado 8 de Octubre de 2016, 1:00 pmBiblioteca Central, Sala Latino/Hispana A & B
- Low Energy Radiation from Our Home and Media Appliances
- Domingo 9 de Octubre de 2016, 1:00 pmBiblioteca Central, Sala Latino/Hispana A & B
- Voices from the Bottom of the South China Sea
- Sábado 15 de Octubre de 2016, 1:30 pmChinatown, Chinatown: Sala de Reuniones
- eReader and Tech Drop-In (English & Chinese)
- Miércoles 5 de Octubre de 2016, 3:00 pmRichmond, Richmond: Sala de Reuniones
- UDN Chinese eBooks
- Viernes 7 de Octubre de 2016, 1:00 pmBiblioteca Central, Sala de Computadoras
- UDN Chinese eBooks
- Sábado 15 de Octubre de 2016, 1:00 pmBiblioteca Central, Sala de Computadoras
*Patrocinado por los Amigos de la Biblioteca Pública de San Francisco.