Tim Holt performs and plays songs from the musical "Nice Work If You Can Get It," including " 'S Wonderful" and "Do Do Do," as well as selections from "Porgy & Bess" and other works by the Gershwin brothers, George & Ira. He will discuss their contributions to American popular music and give a behind-the-scenes look at how they wove music and words seamlessly together.
Tim will also discuss the work of other great composers from that era: Harold Arlen ("Somewhere Over The Rainbow"), Irving Berlin ("Cheek To Cheek") and Jerome Kern ("'Ol' Man River").
As in his other programs, Tim encourages audience members to celebrate our musical heritage by singing right along with him.
The multi-talented Tim Holt is also the author of Songs of the Simple Life (2001), a compendium of rustic wisdom.
- OWL: Older Writers Laboratory
- Monday, August 31, 2015, 10:00 amBernal Heights, Bernal Heights Meeting Room
- Musical Outdoor Storytime
- Tuesday, September 1, 2015, 10:30 am
- Aging and Disability Resource Center Free Counseling
- Wednesday, September 2, 2015, 2:30 pmMarina, Marina General Floor Area
- Teen Computer Corps
- Sunday, August 30, 2015, 2:00 pmOrtega, Ortega Meeting Room
- Basic Computer Class
- Monday, August 31, 2015, 11:00 amWestern Addition, Western Addition Meeting Room
- Wednesday Afternoon Tai Chi with Patrick Lau
- Wednesday, September 2, 2015, 1:30 pmPresidio, Presidio Meeting Room