The Survival in Sarajevo exhibition tells the story of how when war came to Bosnia in 1992 and the multi-ethnic city of Sarajevo was besieged, a handful of Holocaust survivors and their offspring turned a synagogue into one of the most effective humanitarian aid agencies operating inside the war zone. For three years, Muslims and Jews, Serbian Orthodox and Catholic Croats, all worked together in the Jewish community’s aid agency, La Benevolencija, (Ladino for good will).
The exhibition features photographs taken by Edward Serotta, who covered the conflict for Time magazine, Die Zeit and Süddeutsche Zeitung. This exhibition profiles extraordinary people who made a difference during difficult times.
Opening Event: Meet photographer and curator Edward Serotta and guest speakers discussing the history of Sarajevo.
- Monet, Renoir, Pissarro & the Impressionist Movement
- Miércoles 5 de Octubre de 2016, 7:00 pmMerced, Merced: Área Principal
- The Life and Art of Vincent Van Gogh
- Jueves 20 de Octubre de 2016, 7:00 pmSunset, Sunset: Área Juvenil
- A Palestinian Poetry & Music Event
- Martes 25 de Octubre de 2016, 6:00 pmBiblioteca Central, Auditorio Koret