Sylvester was an early founder of the black cross-dressing and trans women group The Discuotays. Later he joined the drag troupe The Cockettes. Later he pursued a solo singing career and was known for some big hits such as "You Make Me Feel (Mighty Real)". Sylvester died on December 16, 1988 at the age of 41.
Join Oakland poet Marvin K. White, Jaime Cortez, Joel Barraquiel Tan, Lorenzo Herrera y Lozano and friends as they pay a literary and musical tribute to the beloved Sylvester 25 years after his death.
Co-sponsored by the African-American Center of San Francisco Public Library.
Curated by Marvin K. White.
See Queerest.Library.Ever. sfpl.org/hormelat20 for related online exhibits, archives, and resources.
- Moving Performances
- Tuesday, December 6, 2016, 6:00 pmMain Library, LGBTQIA Center
- How Eureka Valley Became The Castro
- Tuesday, December 6, 2016, 7:00 pmEureka Valley, Eureka Valley General Floor Area
- Broadway Actor and Author Martin Moran
- Sunday, December 11, 2016, 3:00 pmMain Library, LGBTQIA Center
*Funded by Friends of the San Francisco Public Library.