Sylvester was an early founder of the black cross-dressing and trans women group The Discuotays. Later he joined the drag troupe The Cockettes. Later he pursued a solo singing career and was known for some big hits such as "You Make Me Feel (Mighty Real)". Sylvester died on December 16, 1988 at the age of 41.
Join Oakland poet Marvin K. White, Jaime Cortez, Joel Barraquiel Tan, Lorenzo Herrera y Lozano and friends as they pay a literary and musical tribute to the beloved Sylvester 25 years after his death.
Co-sponsored by the African-American Center of San Francisco Public Library.
Curated by Marvin K. White.
- Radar Reading Series
- Tuesday, April 14, 2015Main Library, Latino/Hispanic Rms A & B
- Lambda Literary Awards Finalists Reading
- Tuesday, April 21, 2015Main Library, Latino/Hispanic Rms A & B
- Another Little Piece of My Heart
- Wednesday, April 22, 2015Main Library, Gay & Lesbian Center
*Funded by Friends of the San Francisco Public Library.